Dysphagia is the medical term that refers to a difficulty in swallowing. It is a common condition in people of all ages, but may occur more often in elderly people. If you are experiencing dysphagia, you must seek medical help immediately! Having trouble swallowing can lead to more serious conditions from malnutrition as well as dysfunction in other areas of the body due to muscle stress.
What Causes Dysphagia?
Dysphagia can be caused by a number of factors. The condition becomes most serious when the factors below are found in concert with each other. Here are some of the more common causes people experience.
- Poor teeth or dentures that do not fit
- Gastroesophageal reflux, or stomach acid in the pharynx
- The aftermath of a stroke or other near fatal condition
- The aftermath of surgery in the head, the neck or the esophageal area
- A tumor of the mouth
What Are the Symptoms of Dysphagia?
In most cases, prolonged discomfort from the symptoms below warrant immediate attention from a medical professional.
- Throat and chest discomfort
- A feeling of stickiness after eating in the throat
- Inadequate nutrition and weight loss
- Choking or coughing that is caused by foodstuffs or liquid that are not fully swallowed
What is the Treatment for Trouble Swallowing in Plantation FL?
You need the trained eye of a professional to properly treat your dysphagia. You may respond better to antacids or muscle relaxants depending on the type of dysphagia you have – oropharyngeal or esophageal. Your doctor may also recommend training exercises that may help you re-coordinate your swallowing facilities.
If you are experiencing dysphagia, do not hesitate to call Dr. Camysha Wright for an appointment at 954-368-8519. Dr. Wright is a highly reviewed EMT with a warm personality to match her expertise in the field. Do not suffer the symptoms and the potential danger of dysphagia without the aid of a professional by your side!