Although tinnitus affects an estimated 20 percent of Americans, the disorder fortunately is mainly bothersome and seldom a signal of a serious medical problem. This persistent ringing, buzzing, hissing, roaring, or clicking in the ears is actually a symptom of an underlying condition. While there is no actual cure for the disorder, tinnitus treatment in Plantation FL can help manage the problem.
For many patients, tinnitus is an idiopathic condition, meaning that healthcare professionals are never able to identify the exact cause. There are two main types of the disorder. In subjective tinnitus, the more common variety, the patient is the only one who hears atypical sounds. With objective tinnitus, considered rare, both the patient and other individuals can hear the noise.
Doctors link tinnitus to a variety of causes. Among the most common culprits are these:
- Inner ear cell damage
- Chronic health conditions
- Injuries or conditions affecting ear nerves or the brain’s hearing center
- Hearing loss related to age
- Being exposed to loud noise
- Blockage from ear wax
- Changes in ear bones
- Meniere’s disease
- Temporomanidibular joint (TMJ) issues
- Head or neck injuries
- Acoustic neuroma
- Cardiovascular conditions
While there is no specific cure for this disorder, patients who see a doctor for tinnitus treatment in Plantation FL have a number of treatment options for managing it. The most common include:
- Treating any underlying medical condition
- Removal of excess ear wax
- Changing a medication regimen
- Use of a white noise machine
- Hearing aids for patients with accompanying hearing loss
- Noise-masking instruments worn in the ear
- Devices to “retrain” tinnitus by masking specific frequencies
For some patients, medications such as amitriptyline, nortriptyline, and alprazolam can help reduce the symptoms of tinnitus. At home, patients can help manage this disorder by avoiding loud sounds, cutting out caffeine and nicotine, getting plenty of rest, and trying not to focus on symptoms. Relaxation techniques like acupuncture and massage are helpful for some individuals.